National University of Health Sciences

Through the Years

NINETEEN

O' SIX

Portrait of John Fitz Alan Howard


National School of Chiropractic
founded in Davenport, Iowa,
by John Fitz Alan Howard, DC.


Dr. Howardand young B.J. Palmerclash
over their philosophies. So, Dr. Howard,
with the blessing of D.D. Palmer, founds the
National School to provide a science-based,
broad scope approach to chiropractic medicine.

NINETEEN

O' EIGHT

Photo of the National School of Chiropractic



The school moves to Chicago and becomes
the first to use a human dissection laboratory
in chiropractic education.



National School of Chiropracticopens
at 1732 W. Congress, a block away from
Cook County Hospital. The hospital admits
National students into their diagnostic
clinics and pathology labs.

Dr. Howardretires as president in 1919.
Pencil sketch of building

NINETEEN

TWENTY

Image of the seal of the National College of Chiropractic



School enlarges facilities and changes name to
the National College of Chiropractic.


National's second president,
William Charles Schulze, MD, DC,
moves the campus to 20 N. Ashland Blvd.,
where it calls home for the next 43 years.

The new location offers more labs, clinical
facilities, dormitory, and recreational space.

NINETEEN

TWENTY-SIX

Photo of Lincoln College


Absorbs Lindlahr College of Natural Therapeutics
and offers degree program in naturopathy(natural
therapeutics) until 1952.


National is the trustee and curator of records
for several former chiropractic and healing arts
colleges that have closed their doors over time,
including Lincoln Chiropractic Collegeand
the New York School of Chiropractic.
Photo of Lindlahr College

NINETEEN

FORTY-FIVE

Portrait of Joseph Janse

Joseph Janse, DC (NCC class of '38) is chosen as
National's fourth president, and begins his legacy
in leading chiropractic education toward full
accreditation.
Dr. Janseserves as president of NCC for
nearly four decades, advancing the field of
chiropractic medicine academically, socially,
philosophically, and politically.

National becomes the first chiropractic school
to acquire regional, state, and professional
accreditation.
Photo of Dr. Janse at desk

NINETEEN

SIXTY-THREE

Photo of Janse Hall


Opens its new campus, specifically designed for
chiropractic education, on a 20-acre parcel in the
Village of Lombard.

The college's first building, now named
Janse Hall, housed three lecture halls,
a gross anatomy laboratory, five additional
labs, a library, and a public clinic.

Today, the Lombard campus boasts 9 buildings
and spans over 32 acres.
Aerial view of Lombard campus

NINETEEN

SEVENTY-TWO

Photo of acupuncture needles


Firsteducational institution in the U.S. to receive
state government authorization to offer
acupuncture education.

Before President Nixon opened diplomatic doors
to China in 1972, National had already begun
acupuncture research and education.

NINETEEN

SEVENTY-EIGHT



Publishes the first scientific journalfor the
chiropractic profession—the Journal of
Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics
.
Image of JMPT cover /
Images of JCM and JCH covers /

Today, National University publishes threepeer-
reviewed and medically-indexed journals for the
chiropractic profession:

Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics
Journal of Chiropractic Medicine
Journal of Chiropractic Humanities

NINETEEN

EIGHTY-SIX

Portrait of James Winterstein


James F. Winterstein, DC (NCC class of '68) is
inaugurated as president of NCC, and begins his
legacy as a leading champion of primary care
chiropractic medicine.

Authoring hundreds of articles, serving as
expert witness in the historic Wilkes vs. AMA
trial, and winning National its current
designation as a Class I medical schoolfor
state funding purposes, Dr. Winterstein leads
National for the next 27 years through the
many program expansions that define the
University today.
Photo of James Winterstein speaking

NINETEEN

NINETY-NINE

Photo of hands massaging back


Adds a new massage therapy program featuring
graduate level faculty. It is one of the few to use
human cadaversto study anatomy.

Becomes the only chiropractic school to require
a baccalaureate degreefor admission,
thereby raising its academic standards to the
highest in the profession.

National University also maintains the
highest GPA and prerequisiterequirements
of any other DC program.
Photo of intern adjusting patient with clinician supervising

TWO

THOUSAND

NUHS logo
Name changes to National University of Health
Sciences
and begins to forge a campus devoted
to integrative medicine .


Changing from a college to a university structure
laid the foundation to add undergraduate
programs, multiple professional degrees,
master's degrees, and postgraduate education.
NUHS seal

TWO THOUSAND

AND FIVE

Photo of biochem lab


Adds Bachelor of Biomedical Science degree
completion program featuring graduate-level
faculty and facilities.

TWO THOUSAND

AND SIX

Celebrating a "Century of Excellence" since its founding
in 1906, National University of Health Sciences launches
additional programs:

Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine (ND)
Master of Science in Acupuncture (MSAc)
Master of Science in Oriental Medicine (MSOM)

NUHS accepts its first classes in Fall 2006 for the
ND, MSAc, and MSOMprograms.

Also launches a master's degree in
diagnostic imaging and an associate of
applied science degree in massage therapy.
Photo of interns reviewing image

TWO THOUSAND

AND NINE

Outline of the state of Florida

NUHS opens a new site in St. Petersburg, Florida ,
offering the Doctor of Chiropractic degree.

First class starts in Fall 2009.

NUHS participates in a unique campus-sharing
program through the University Partnership
Center at St. Petersburg College, and offers
two clinicsin the Tampa Bay area serving the
students, staff, and faculty of St. Petersburg
College and the community of Pinellas County.
Photo of intern taping patient's shoulder

TWO THOUSAND

THIRTEEN

Portrait of Joseph Stiefel


Joseph P.D. Stiefel, MS, EdD, DC (NUHS class of '04) is
inaugurated as sixth president of National University
of Health Sciences.
The first graduate of National's master of
science in diagnostic imaging program,
Dr. Stiefelserves on the university's faculty
before becoming the first dean of its Florida DC
program. Under his leadership, the university
continues to focus on broad scope
primary care
practice for professional degree
programs, and deepens its committment to
integrative medicine.
Photo of President Stiefel speaking

Defining the future

of integrated healthcare.

View Site in Mobile | Classic
Share by: